As of October 1, 2014, the State of California is consolidating their airfare program.
For Berkeley Lab this change affects our capability of issuing YCal State airfares through our contracted agency, Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT). The State of California is currently revising their own Travel Program and YCal tickets will only be issued directly with their agency. CWT is able to issue a YCal State fare until September 30, 2014. Please book any future YCal travel prior to this date. State fares are refundable and changeable with no penalty.
We are in communication with the State of California and will provide any updates as we continue to work with them.State of California YCal airfare program for contract year July 1, 2014 - September 30, 2014: Statewide Travel Program.
- Airfare Reimbursement Guidelines
- Fly America Act Guidance
- State of California Discount Air Fare Program
- United and Other Airlines Discounts
The Laboratory is a participant in the State negotiated discount airfares (referred to as YCal) for several city-pairs for travel within California, Out of State and International for use while traveling on official business. For more information on city-pairs/reimbursable airfares, please email TravelHelp@lbl.gov.
The current contract airlines are United Airlines, Virgin America, Alaska Airlines, Jet Blue and Southwest Airlines. Discounts range from approximately 6% to 63% off the average airfares now paid by Lab travelers. The State of California also introduces a VCal, ECal, QCal and LCal fare to certain markets. These lower State of California fares follow the same rules as YCal fares, but are capacity controlled. LBNL travelers are expected to use a State of CA YCal fare if traveling on official business to a YCal market.
Definition of YCAL fare:
"YCAL: A type of airfare available to State travelers, for business use only, through State contracts with specific airlines. These unrestricted (subject to no restrictions or limits; no additional fees; fully refundable; flexible) YCAL fares offer last-seat availability (access to any seat or any number of seats on a plane). Fares are fully-refundable and may be used for travel in either direction of the city pair. Because YCAL fares are more flexible, they are more expensive than VCAL fares."
The State of CA YCal fare is the "Reimbursable airfare ceiling" for LBNL employee business travel for contract year July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014.
The following rules apply to LBNL's use of the State of California YCal and the capacity controlled State fares.
- Reservations and ticketing must be done by Carlson Wagonlit (1-888 243-1125) or Cliqbook/Concur.
- Tickets must be charged on the Lab's airline central billing account. (Travelers may not charge tickets to individual credit cards).
- Fares are valid only on the YCal Carrier.
- Fares are valid only between specific city pairs included in the program.
- Fares can only be used for official travel.
- There are no advance purchase requirements for State of California fares (Reservations may be made at any time, but tickets do not need to be issued until plans are certain).
- YCal seats are not part of a special inventory or capacity controlled.
- VCal, ECal, QCal and LCal seats are part of a special inventory and are capacity controlled.
- Tickets are fully refundable and changeable with no penalties.
- Fares listed in the downloads above are shown as State of California one-way fares and round-trip fares (including tax). These fares can be used round-trip or point-to-point. Fares can fluctuate a small amount due to added airline/airport surcharges.
Airfare discount agreements apply to selected Domestic and International airfares listed in the Published Airline Tariff. These discounts apply only to tickets issued through CarlsonWagonlit Travel/Cliqbook/Concur. Travelers who choose to purchase their tickets outside are responsible for knowing their maximum reimbursable airfare prior to ticketing. Click HERE for more information.
- LLNL/LBNL United Airlines discount percentage contract valid January 1, 2009 to November 30, 2014. Discount varies from 2% to 10% depending on destination and fare type ticketed.
- UC/American Airlines discount percentage contract valid May 28, 2014 to June 30, 2016. Discount varies from 2% to 20% depending on destination and fare type ticketed.
UC/Delta Airlines discount percentage contract valid May 1, 2010 to May 31, 2015. Discount varies from 2% to 6% depending on destination and fare type ticketed.