Hotel Cost Reimbursement
Travelers may be reimbursed up to the maximum government rate established for the lodging location. If the room rate plus taxes exceed the established maximum, the traveler should obtain prior approval. The maximum amount that can be reimbursed with justification and approval is 300% of the establish rate for that location. Any amount over 300% is non-reimbursable regardless of approval or justification.
Getting the Government Rate
LBNL is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) which enables the Lab’s business traveler to get government rates at hotels. This rate is the maximum reimbursable lodging rate as established by the General Services Administration (GSA). To qualify for the rate, you may be asked to show government identification at time of check-in. Your LBNL badge is sufficient.
Non-Laboratory personnel (e.g., interviewees, invited guests, visiting researchers, and contractors) traveling on behalf of LBNL who have any of the following identification are also eligible for the government rate:
- Picture ID from State, Local or Canadian Government
- Credit Card issued by Federal or Canadian Government
- Picture ID from a FFRDC
Find these rates HERE.
Hotel Reservations Tips
- Make a note of the hotel confirmation number when you make your reservation.
- If you need to cancel a hotel reservation, make a note of the cancellation number and the name of the person with whom the reservation is canceled.
- A no-show bill, received as a result of failure to cancel a hotel reservation, is non-reimbursable unless due to an unavoidable business reason.
- If you have a confirmed reservation and arrive to find the hotel overbooked, hotels will generally try to accommodate you at a nearby property and provide transportation.
LBNL, in cooperation with LLNL, has developed a Preferred Hotel Program. The hotels listed in this directory are primarily those that offer our travelers the government rate in our key business destinations. Hotels not offering the government rate are clearly indicated and travelers will incur some personal costs if they stay at these hotels. Visit the Preferred Hotel Directory HERE.
Berkeley Lab Guest Housing